Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Slight Rant

Where to begin??? This illustration says a lot about what's buggin' me. I've never been a Disney fan when it comes to the princess message. Mostly, they all say, " your beauty and budding sexuality are your best assets. Work it to get what you want (a man.)" In almost all of these stories, Mother is dead, and I understand using this angle to create adversity and tension. The Father is either a. small and stupid, b. inconsequential, c. powerful over everyone except the princess, or d. dead. The princesses have no attachments, except to animals. They are too thin. They are unsisterly and competitive with any other females, unless said female is short, squat and post-menopausal. To a princess, she is on her own and cannot take care of herself, and thus must have a man. Sheesh! I'm boring myself to death just writing about it!
And all this matters why? I hear you ask. I'm in pre-school now, and all these little whelp princesses need saving from Disneylust. The fashion battle of the pink/purple/sparkle with these girls is stunning. I don't know... to me, this looks like something that needs fixing, now. But I could be wrong. Hell, my girls grew out of it. And I do like the music from these movies. I just want more interesting things for these kids. And I can be instrumental in school with this. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Lauryn said...

dede, i completely agree! for starters, just look at snow white's size in comparison to jasmine's! i think disney (as much as i enjoyed it as a kid) is an evil little enterprise, for many reasons, but in large part for reinforcing negative female stereotypes. when/if i have kids some day, i'm not going to tell them what colors they should like, what toys they should play with or who their role models should be (within reason). sometimes it still feels like 1909 and not 2009...

Hollopez said...

And yet somehow my daughter loves them all.....to me it's just childhood, Lily knows nothing about oppression or sexuality, she just likes their clothes :-)

Hollopez said...

And yet somehow my daughter loves them all.....to me it's just childhood, Lily knows nothing about oppression or sexuality, she just likes their clothes :-)

Followers


View My Stats