Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shades of Gray a.k.a. Sick Day 4

Here is a picture of me in the middle of the night when the fever finally broke. I was soakin'.

This is the sickest I have been since 1991, Christmas morning. I had a very bad flu then, too; as did my parents. That flu put my Mom in the hospital, and then into rehab for alcohol addiction. You might say, that flu extended her life a little. If she hadn't gone to rehab, she would have died sooner of the Emphysema that ultimately killed her about 30 months later. She got sober and stayed sober, and she never smoked again, either. And by the by, she said quitting smoking was waaaaaayy harder than quitting the booze. She was hard core strong in her last few years. I went through a co-dependant family program when my Mom was there. This changed so many things for me, and for Mom and me. I think if she had not gotten sober, I would be way more crazy than I am now, and that's some lotta crazy. So, thank you to Flu bugs, for giving me a little more Mom than I would have had without ya.

All these thoughts about Mom and the flu have me craving canned pears in heavy syrup, canned spaghetti and peanut butter-marshmallow open faced sandwiches. Sorry, Gourmet gals... don't be shocked. I'm just regressing to being a sick 7 year old. My Mom would indulge me with pretty junky food if I wanted it. Then we'd watch the Movie with Ione in the afternoon, with the hot humidifier blasting , and me slathered in Vicks.

Although being sick is no fun at all, remembering being sick is really good today.

Beautiful photo by Toni Frissell. Look her up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toni_Frissell

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean. For me, it was french toast and a paper bag with the top rolled down to put my Kleenex in, although we only used toilet paper. Don't tell anyone. It makes me sound like a yokel! SQ

dede said...

Dearest Anonymous,
I'll never tell. You lie about it and I'll swear to it. xox

Lori said...

In my family, we got "sick soup" which was chicken bouillon and crackers with jelly. (yum).

Followers


View My Stats