
Then, on the night of Feb. 13, 2005, I hobbled out my backdoor, on crutches because I had torn a muscle in my calf. It was sleeting, blowing, icy and dangerous. But, I had to go outside to smoke a cigarette. See, I hid my addiction from my daughters, and snuck around all the time to smoke over a pack a day (for decades). So, taking this risk was reasonable, right? Anywho, as I sucked and puffed I came to realize that I was missing out on what was happening inside... my kids were getting ready to be adults and would be leaving anytime. I confess, I loved to smoke so much that I would leave my kids behind to go to the store, or ride around the block, or whatever. I was slipping out, and they were growing up. Then it hit me... this is not worth it. Oh, and I also couldn't breathe from hacking in the mornings. Oh, yeah, and both my parents died in their 60's from smoking. So what the fuck was I doing? So I flicked that bitch to the curb, and hopped (literally) back into the house.
Here are some snaps of me taken those first months off cigs:





But my motto helped me through it:
So now, it's 5 years and 35 pounds later. And I can breathe, I taste great!
And my clowns are very proud of me:
The hardest part about quitting smoking is learning to say NO to yourself hundreds of times a day, everyday. So, here's a visual aid to help you:
Like I said, hooray for me.xox

7 comments:
I second that. Hooray for you!
thank you, Lori. xox
I say hooray for you on a daily basis!!!!
so sweet, Holly. xox
You're my idol. When you make up your mind to do something, there is no stopping you! sq
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sue. xox
Yay! I hear it takes eleven years after quitting for your lungs to get as healthy as a non-smoker's. You're just about half way there! I'm really happy you quit smoking. I hated having to steal your cigs from your purse, crush them up, dampen them, and throw them out. Really, I hated it. There was no joy in it for me. No, really.
Post a Comment