Saturday, May 16, 2009

Street Life/ Life on the Street

Street Life

Very talented Performance Artists can be seen and heard in the streets of Paris all the time. We caught the end of this lively band as we turned a corner in the Left Bank, near St. Michel:


There are Troubadours in the Rue Mouffetard market:

I heard great music in the Metro:

Alas, since I've already uploaded one video, Blogger is overwhelmed. I'll post 2 vids of Metro musicians at another time. xox

There was a Mime in front of Notre Dame who was very animated (duh):



Z snapped this of some very interesting looking break dancers at the Pl. St. Andre des Artes:

Though she is smitten with all accordion players, Z and I always gave money to street performers.
**************************************************************

Life on the Street
Every city in the world has it's homeless/poor population. This beautiful woman let me take her photo on the Pont du Neuf. She had stunning, blue eyes.


Patrick Roger's is a famous Chocolatier in Paris. This old, bent woman walked around the Blvd. St. Germaine often, and I saw her many times. The contrast in the theme of this photo is striking, n'est pas?
Puppies, puppies puppies! There are so many dogs in Paris. I heard 1.2 million... one for every 3 people. I never saw or heard of a spay/neuter campaign ever. I don't think the French are into it. They like dogs too much and they are all pleasure seekers, so therefore, they would NEVER THINK of taking any pleasure away from said dogs.
Z, the ultimate dog lover, found out why so many homeless people have dogs. It is because by law, if one has a dog, one cannot be charged with vagrancy and put in jail. So, many street people have MANY dogs. Z always gave money to the dog people and even bought some dog food for one of the mama dogs she often saw.

2 comments:

Zoe said...

As much as I love dogs (especially little wiggly puppies!), the one drawback to the French canine obsession is, as you saw, the copious amounts of dog shite all over the place. Sidewalks, parks, the street; one always has to very carefully watch one's step.

Also, with regard to your spay/neuter comment, you're absolutely right. I don't know if it's a "pleasure principle" thing, or laziness, or some ethical riff raff, but the jewels are swinging all over Paris.

Unknown said...

There must be some sort of pet obsession in Europe. If dogs were allowed in stores, buses, and trains in Chicago, then more people would own one.

In Amsterdam it seemed like there were more cats on the streets than house boats along the canals.

Followers


View My Stats